Google
 

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Another thing wrong with our Tax Code, the Barry Bonds Ball

What is wrong with our tax code? I have another example today. 21 year old Matt Murphy was on his way to Australia when he stopped in San Francisco and caught the Giants game in which Barry Bonds hit his 756th home run. Matt came away with the ball. He then was faced with a decision keep the ball and face a huge tax bill or sell the ball in order to pay the taxes and come away with some money. Before finding that he would have to pay the tax bill he had planned to loan the ball to several museums including the Basball Hall of fame. It must have been a tough decison but he knew since he didnt have the money to pay the tax bill he would have to sell. He said, "It was simple math. I'm upset by the decision I had to make," Murphy said. "I wanted to keep it. I'm young. I don't have the bank account. ... It would have cost me a lot more to keep it."
This leads me to a greater question. Why should he be taxed because he caught a homerun ball. Sure sales tax or capital "might" be approriate when he sales but tax him because he caught a ball at a ballpark. Whats next is the federal government going to go after $2 for every kid that catches a foul ball. I just thought this was ridiculous and wanted to get thoughts.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-bondsball082207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: